March 20 years ago, (March 2000) Peter Taylor founded P.T. Automation Solutions. His first choice of name didn’t include the ‘P.T.” and he wanted “Automation Solutions” to reflect his passion for industrial electrical automation solutions. By adding the P.T. the company had a registered name.
In 1987 Peter had left the highly successful Convey-A-Controls company he co-founded in South Africa (This company is still in operation today under another name to meet the BEE requirements), to get away from what was becoming a dangerous place to live for his young family. He had built an enviable reputation in Southern Africa as preferred panel builders, system integrators and turnkey electrical solution providers for Schneider, Rockwell and Siemens systems supplied into the manufacturing, petrochemical, mining, pharmaceutical, refrigeration and steel industries. These relationships helped PTAS get started in Australia.
In the early days of PTAS, Peter was engineer, switchboard builder and construction manager. The first project was commissioning Kennedy Taylor (now JPR) switchboards at Calide Power Station Biloela and the Schneider 6.6KV switchgear for Schneider on the power station. PTAS also earned a 4 year Festo contract for all pneumatic control boxes. PTAS also built a fully Automated Pier manufacturing system suppling the MCC and controls using FESTO PLC control systems..
These projects quickly established PTAS as an agile, innovative and reliable partner, capable of delivering projects normally the realm of its bigger competitors. Notable of the larger projects:
- Rio Tinto (2007); Boyne Aluminium Smelter two of complete Switchroom including MCC.s UPS, PLC Control Panels for Rio Tinto.
- GHD UK (2007); waste recycling plant MCC and AB control system shipped to UK (Liverpool) and installed under PTAS supervision.
- Austria Hirsch (2008); automated EPS Pallet Manufacturing facility MCC and control system designed and manufactured in Australia, shipped and commissioned in Austria (EU). PTAS achieved a 60 second cycle time for a completed pallet.
- Cargill Beef; Wagga complete abattoir automation MCC and install of facility.
- EPS pallet (2013); manufacturing machines for the USA MCC install and controls
- Weir Minerals/QGC (2013); Oil & Gas water gathering Switchroom automate manufacturer and install and diesel generator control using solar power.
- City of Gold Coast (2015 – 2018); Wastewater pumping station upgrade; Merimac STP MCC Control room
- Gladstone Area Water (2017); Switchroom supply with MCC, install and multi-discipline site works .
- Air Services (2018); Brisbane and Melbourne airport generator testing MCCs.
- Glencore (2019); 450kw VSD MCC for ball mills
- Qld Urban Utilities (2017-20); Bundamba STP Upgrade; Wacol STP MV upgrade; Sandgate STP, Luggage Pt STP;
Over 20 years PTAS has delivered projects in mining, oil&gas and public infrastructure that Peter declared “So many projects that spring to mind, I enjoyed them and proud of the challenges we solve for our clients, that’s probably why”
P.T. Automation Solutions continues on its growth pathway, winning innovation and safety awards, most importantly, earning its benchmark reputation for high value, industrial and public infrastructure standard electrical control systems. “With a project contract pipeline in infrastructure and resources already well into 2021, and a great team onboard, the years ahead of PTAS are destined to be its best.”